MLA150 - Large Image GDS Generation
Instructions on how to take a regular rasterized image (eg. JPG, BMP, PNG etc.) and convert it into a vectorized format compatible with the MLA150. This produces a much smaller file than a raw BMP image, because large-area polygons are created, as opposed to defining each pixel across a 150mm wafer (which hits the RAM limit on the computer).
In this example, we convert the image into simple 1-bit black-and-white image using the free software GIMP, and then convert to a Vector format using the free software InkScape. Then we correct the scale and convert to GDS using the free software KLayout.
GIMP: (can also do in another image editor, such as Paint.exe)
open the Image (JPG, PNG, BMP etc.),
Image > Mode > Indexed > 1-bit
Optional: Dither to handle grey values, haven't tried this.
Can edit by painting etc.
Save as any JPG, PNG, BMP format
Open the Image file, default options
Click on the Image with the Arrow tool, to select it.
Path > Trace Bitmap (options affect curves/resolution)
- Use the “Update” button to show a Preview of the Path that will be created.
- Options: Trace BitMap > Single-Scan > AutoTrace (dropdown menu).
- [OK] to create the Path, then Close the “Trace Bitmap” window.
- Creates a new Path object that outlines the image
Use the Arrow select tool to select the Image
- bottom bar shows what object is selected
- Option/Alt-Click to select obscured objects
- Make sure PATH is Not selected
Delete the Image. File should have only the Path object in it.
File > Save a Copy… > DXF (Autocad R14)
> UNCHECK "Robo" and "LWPOLYLINE" - important, or the lines won’t be connected as a single object.
Open the DXF in Klayout
Use Cell Instance to scale up to desired size:
- Create a new Cell
- Instance the original Cell into that.
- Edit Cell Instance properties to adjust scaling
Use Move tool to Center image at 0,0
Save as GDS
- Change file extension to lower case “gds” important, or MLA convert software won’t see the file.
Take note of which Cell & Layer should be printed
[Convert Design] and Import the GDS,
Choose correct Cell from dropdown
Set correct Layer: set 1st line to correct layer & uncheck the others
[Viewer] to make sure scale is correct
Ready to expose the pattern as normal.