Sputter 4 (AJA ATC 2200-V)
The Seven-Target DC/RF Sputtering System, built by AJA International uses planar magnetron sources. The sources are contained in tiltable sputter gun modules that allow for maintaining uniformity control at various sample heights. Cross contamination between sources is minimized by using a chimney configuration with very narrow source shutter gaps. Uniformity better than 2% is achieved for various sample heights.
Substrates are clip mounted onto 4", 6" or a generic carrier. Up to 6" round wafer sizes can be accomodated in the system.
2 DC sources and 1 RF sources allow for co-deposition of materials. Materials, such as ITO, Si, Al, Zr, etc. can be reactively RF sputtered in an O2 or N2 environment to produce metal-oxides or nitrides. Flow rates are controlled with standard mass flow controllers. Argon is used for the sputter gases, with N2 and O2 used for reactive sputtering.
The deposition chamber is load-locked, with automatic wafer transfer, providing for fast substrate transfer and consistent, low base pressure. Venting and evacuation are automated with a 1200 l/s turbo (capable of pumping O2) achieving < 5 E-8T ultimate pressure. A VAT gate valve is used for process pressure control independent of gas flow.
Gun power supplies include: 300W DC, 13.56 Mhz 300W RF and a 150W substrate RF supply for in-situ substrate biasing and pre-cleaning. Samples can be heated to 800°C. The system is recipe driven and computer controlled for reproducible results.
Magnetic materials are restricted from this system, but can instead be deposited on Sputter 3 or 5. This is to accommodate superconducting materials.
- 7 target with DC or RF operation
- < 5E-8T ultimate pressure (3 mT typical operating pressure), load-locked chamber
- 6" and 4" round sample holder
- Gun Tilt and Sample height adjustment
- Deposition uniformity is ~ 1-2% over 4 " diameter
- Up to 800°C deposition temperature in O2 environment
- RF Biasing of sample during deposition or as a preclean
- Automatic wafer loading and recipe driven process control.
- Co-deposition of two materials: DC or RF
- Reactive sputtering with N2 or O2 using RF
- SiO2, SiN, ITO, AlN, and other metal-oxide/nitrides possible
- No magnetic materials
- The Sputter #4 SignupMonkey Page lists the currently installed sputter targets.
To Be Added
Wiki > Recipes > Sputtering Recipes > Sputter #4
See the master deposition table to help determine which tool you need to use for a particular material.